With an enviable view overlooking the city of Portimão, the Convento de São Francisco (Convent of Saint Francis) is 16th-century architectural complex developed from a group of houses donated by Simão Correia, captain of Azamar, who also built a small Chapel in honour of Our Lady of Hope as thanks for God’s protection in the wars. The buildings are harmoniously interconnected. The convent was built later, in 1541. It is currently a property of public interest in Portimão, but it is owned privately and there is no visitor access.
CLASSIFICATION: PROPERTY OF PUBLIC INTEREST
Heritage Office of the Portimão Municipal Council
Telephone: (+351) 282 480 492 / 927 246 318
GPS: Latitude 37° 7’44.29”N / Longitude 8°31’56.41”W